HappyValley Industry is a platform dedicated to the Happy Valley-based technology businesses driving Industry 4.0 and other markets. The online community highlights local tech companies and their global impact, to help those companies connect with top talent and other important stakeholders. We aim to reach an audience of Penn State-affiliated businesspeople and C-suite executives who may have an interest in either moving business to Happy Valley, or looking to Happy Valley for the tools and resources they need for their business to succeed, whether that be talent or partnerships with one of our great regional tech firms.
We're looking for a dedicated managing editor who can actively grow the HappyValley Industry national brand in new and exciting ways, as we take on editorial partners/sponsors and advertisers.
The managing editor will be responsible for...
- Managing/overseeing the growth of the site and the potential for subsequent print publications
- Managing/hiring/coaching a team of freelance contributors
- Overseeing an editorial calendar that includes 3-5 new articles weekly
- Seeing that content is added to the site each week, as well as uploaded into a weekly eletter format, and also distributed via social media channels
- Attending business and industry-related events as needed to represent the publication and, while at it, uncover story ideas for upcoming publication
- Ensuring editorial aspects of advertising/sponsorship partnerships are fulfilled
- And, in general, setting the site up for growth and to become a go-to resource filled with valuable, unique content for our readers.
An understanding of the Central PA tech, research and business ecosystem is a must. Connections within the ecosystem are a bonus, but can be made. Individuals with journalism backgrounds are preferred. Ideally, the individual will agree that Happy Valley is the greatest place to live, work and play, and have a passionate desire to tell and amplify the Happy Valley story to the 700,000 Penn State alums, as well as to fill the talent needs of the fast-growing Central PA companies who are solving global problems.
Other requirements include:
- Ability to work on tight deadlines and scrappily put together content as needed
- Desire to get on the phone and talk to sources, and make real connections with our readers
- Expert editorial skills (content editing, copyediting, proofreading)
- Strong project management skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Flexibility and grace under pressure